Announcements
Requesting your help! No money involved! Please read here. (Link fixed.)

Donations
  • Buy some Old Elm Tree merchandise!

Sponsors

Why is Noojaras on OET and What is His/Her Intent Here?
07-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Why is Noojaras on OET and What is His/Her Intent Here?
I personally believe Noojaras is detracting from the forum. Thoughts?

"Republican politicians fear the GOP base; Democratic politicians hate the Democratic base.” - David Frum
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2012, 05:03 PM
RE: Why is Noojaras on OET and What is His/Her Intent Here?
I have been wondering the same thing. Weird posting by them on the issue of how the Palestinian children cannot be dealing with low calorie intake and resulting malnutrition, as the Palestinian's population has not increased enough to lower their ability to have food.l

Of course, anyone knowing anything abut the Israeli/Palestinian situation knows that the Israelis have been cutting off food shipments to the Palestinians, and then since those people are essentially locked inside a ghetto, having to face numerous roadblocks, literal roadblocks, not the metaphorical ones, to get out and try and buy food, there is a serious problem. But Noojaras then went on a tangent about how Jordan held a section of Jerusalem back in the forties and until the 1967 war.

I don't know where this Noojaras came from, but I wouldn't find it hard to believe that Skinner sent them over here.

"The further a society drifts from Truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell
07-14-2012, 05:09 PM
As long as Noojaras follows the rules Andrea has set forth, the poster should stay, regardless of what the replies look like. Posts are easy enough to ignore.

As far as Skinner is concerned, I sincerely doubt his involvement in any sabotage of a small board with no political connections. What does concern me is how many nice people from DU seem to have come here and then ceased posting. I would like to understand the reasons for that.
07-14-2012, 05:23 PM
(07-14-2012 05:09 PM)xedniw Wrote:  As long as Noojaras follows the rules Andrea has set forth, the poster should stay, regardless of what the replies look like. Posts are easy enough to ignore.

As far as Skinner is concerned, I sincerely doubt his involvement in any sabotage of a small board with no political connections. What does concern me is how many nice people from DU seem to have come here and then ceased posting. I would like to understand the reasons for that.

So would I.

andrea @ oldelmtree.com

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.

-- Noam Chomsky

07-14-2012, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 06:24 PM by Montag.)
(07-14-2012 05:09 PM)xedniw Wrote:  As long as Noojaras follows the rules Andrea has set forth, the poster should stay, regardless of what the replies look like. Posts are easy enough to ignore.

If someone is not posting in good faith (right, left or center), I don't see why s/he should stay. I don't see any discernible political philosophy from Noojaras, and I'm not sure that I see any substantive contributions.

I ask again to Noojaras what is his/her intent on OET? How s/he feels that s/he contributes to the forum. What does s/he like about the forum, and why does s/he feel that s/he is a valuable member of OET?

p.s. Since I'm not a mod, I don't have any power to do anything to Noojaras... I hope to hear back from Noojaras on these questions, but if the moderating team thinks that Noojaras is not running afoul of the guidelines set out to be a member -- in good standing -- of OET (then I won't pursue this any further).

"Republican politicians fear the GOP base; Democratic politicians hate the Democratic base.” - David Frum
07-14-2012, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 06:56 PM by xedniw.)
(07-14-2012 06:09 PM)Montag Wrote:  If someone is not posting in good faith (right, left or center), I don't see why s/he should stay. I don't see any discernible political philosophy from Noojaras, and I'm not sure that I see any substantive contributions.

Andrea's rules do not demand having a discernible political philosophy or even substantive contributions. They involve a certain level of politeness and tolerance toward others, and I have not seen these rules broken by the poster in question.

In terms of "good faith" posting, you're going down a subjective slippery slope with that one. Mind reading is not a particular skill of mine, nor is reading tea leaves. I cannot claim to be able to tell if a poster is posting in good faith. Even wacky, far out posts may be sincere ones. Looking for "good faith" will get you quickly into witch hunts. That is why it is far better to compare the behavior of OET posters to the rules set forth by Andrea and the moderators. That way, there is some evidence for disciplining a poster if necessary.

Quote:I ask again to Noojaras what is his/her intent on OET? How s/he feels that s/he contributes to the forum. What does s/he like about the forum, and why does s/he feel that s/he is a valuable member of OET?

Then why don't you PM this person and ask? Surely, a private message might get you more answers in the long run.

Quote:p.s. Since I'm not a mod, I don't have any power to do anything to Noojaras... I hope to hear back from Noojaras on these questions, but if the moderating team thinks that Noojaras is not running afoul of the guidelines set out to be a member -- in good standing -- of OET (then I won't pursue this any further).

Perhaps PM-ing the moderators might be the prudent course here. You could have a much more substantive exchange that way. Andrea has been open to me and what I have had to say in PMs. I have also gotten a much clearer idea of who she is as well. The exchanges have been pleasant and productive overall.
07-14-2012, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 07:18 PM by Montag.)
(07-14-2012 06:55 PM)xedniw Wrote:  
(07-14-2012 06:09 PM)Montag Wrote:  If someone is not posting in good faith (right, left or center), I don't see why s/he should stay. I don't see any discernible political philosophy from Noojaras, and I'm not sure that I see any substantive contributions.

Andrea's rules do not demand having a discernible political philosophy or even substantive contributions. They involve a certain level of politeness and tolerance toward others, and I have not seen these rules broken by the poster in question.

In terms of "good faith" posting, you're going down a subjective slippery slope with that one. Mind reading is not a particular skill of mine, nor is reading tea leaves. I cannot claim to be able to tell if a poster is posting in good faith. Even wacky, far out posts may be sincere ones. Looking for "good faith" will get you quickly into witch hunts. That is why it is far better to compare the behavior of OET posters to the rules set forth by Andrea and the moderators. That way, there is some evidence for disciplining a poster if necessary.

Quote:I ask again to Noojaras what is his/her intent on OET? How s/he feels that s/he contributes to the forum. What does s/he like about the forum, and why does s/he feel that s/he is a valuable member of OET?

Then why don't you PM this person and ask? Surely, a private message might get you more answers in the long run.

Quote:p.s. Since I'm not a mod, I don't have any power to do anything to Noojaras... I hope to hear back from Noojaras on these questions, but if the moderating team thinks that Noojaras is not running afoul of the guidelines set out to be a member -- in good standing -- of OET (then I won't pursue this any further).

Perhaps PM-ing the moderators might be the prudent course here. You could have a much more substantive exchange that way. Andrea has been open to me and what I have had to say in PMs. I have also gotten a much clearer idea of who she is as well. The exchanges have been pleasant and productive overall.

I seem to have struck a nerve... I don't see that I'm asking anything outrageous of Noojaras (or why you seem to be so riled Xedniw). If s/he is here for any other reason than to thrust a wrench into the forum, then that should be pretty easy to explain.

p.s. I wouldn't consider either of you to be esteemed posters here -- as I would the Crone -- who seemed to think that what I was asking was pretty right on/reasonable. In fact, you both seem to have an interest in stirring up conflict/disharmony on the forum. Which certainly raises my antenna, more than a little bit.

07-14-2012, 07:22 PM
(07-14-2012 07:14 PM)Montag Wrote:  I don't see that I'm asking anything outrageous of Noojaras. If s/he is here for any other reason than to thrust a wrench into the forum, then that should be pretty easy to explain.

Then again, why don't you PM this fellow Elmer and find out the answers to your questions?
07-14-2012, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 07:33 PM by Montag.)
If Noojaras is a conservative, that would certainly help me a great bit. I don't know that we've had one on OET, that I'm aware of.

Generally I'd say our debates here have been pretty friendly within the "progressive camp". Whether to support the Democratic Party at all (or not), I think a few are pro-nuke here, some people are interested in conspiracies here (others not), some are atheist here (others not), some support certain humanitarian interventions others are essentially entirely pacifistic or always against war...

I don't understand what Noojaras is doing, I can't see any rhyme or reason as to what Noojaras does.

07-14-2012, 07:26 PM
(07-14-2012 07:22 PM)xedniw Wrote:  
(07-14-2012 07:14 PM)Montag Wrote:  I don't see that I'm asking anything outrageous of Noojaras. If s/he is here for any other reason than to thrust a wrench into the forum, then that should be pretty easy to explain.

Then again, why don't you PM this fellow Elmer and find out the answers to your questions?

I suppose that could be an adventure, I don't know that that poster has made much sense. Someone posting nonsense, would I really have any reasonable expectation of a cogent response?

Sponsors